Our Mission Statement
`In holiness and Learning' (A Franciscan Motto)
We seek in our school to offer children a sense of belonging and worthwhile educational purpose underpinned by the Gospel values.
This school aims to build upon established links with home and parish so that it is seen by all as a working, worshipping community involving priest, governors, teachers and support staff, parents and children.
It may be judged by the attitudes, behaviour and efforts of all who work in our school to fulfil its aims.
`In our daily work, we should be seen to be followers of Jesus Christ'
History of St Charles
St Charles Catholic Primary School is in Hadfield, a village in North West Derbyshire on the edge of the Peak District National Park. Glossop is two miles away, and the centre of Manchester is just 15 miles to the west.
St Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic School - the original name - was built by Lord Edward Howard on Woolley Bridge Road in 1858. The school had one classroom.
The school became an infant and junior school in 1961. As the population in the High Peak was growing rapidly, the old school was becoming increasingly cramped.
A new St Charles was opened on its present site on The Carriage Drive in 1975. Pupil numbers were still rising in the 1980's and 90's and an extension comprising two new classrooms was opened in 2002.
The phrase `progress through continuity' could have been coined for St Charles as Fr John Sullivan was Parish Priest and Chair of Governors from 1970 - 1999, and Philip Hughes was Headteacher from 1977 - 2001.
Maintaining religious values, a caring environment, academic excellence, and strong out-of-school activities including music and sport, remain the cornerstones for this popular community primary school.